Frequently Asked Questions
Scams and Fraud
Most scams involve one or more of the following:
- Inquiry from someone far away, often in another country.
- Western Union, MoneyGram, cashier's check, money order, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee".
- Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before consummating transaction.
What can I do to prevent getting scammed?
- Deal locally with folks that you can meet in person.
- Avoid sending funds via wire transfer like Western Union or Moneygram, or any other wire service. This is a huge red flag. Someone who asks you to do this is likely a scammer.
- Never give out financial information (eg., bank account number, social security number, PayPal info, etc.).
- Try to avoid deals involving shipping services.
- Don't believe anybody who tells you they will pay you more than your asking price.
Who should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?
- Federal Trade Commissions toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357).
- FTC online complaint form (www.ftc.gov).
- Canadian PhoneBusters hotline: 888-495-8501.
- Internet Fraud Complaint Center (www.ic3.gov).
- The non-emergency number for your local police department.
It is very important that you notify us of any potential scams or scammers right away. In addition to informing us of potential scams, we strongly encourage our members to use an ESCROW account to complete any transactions that you are not making in person. We encourage members to use an escrow service to make sure that your transaction is safely done. An escrow service protects both parties involved in the transaction. Buyers receive and inspect the merchandise before the Seller is paid. Sellers receive their money if the Buyer accepts the merchandise. For more information on escrows, you can go to www.escrow.com, or other trusted providers like them.
What can Speedway do if I got scammed?
We can supply you with any ad and account info if you are taking legal action against this person. You will need to fax over documentation that proves you are taking legal action against this person, i.e. court papers or a letter from an attorney we can disable the account, and provide a legal entity with member/ad/message information that will help you with your pursuit of this person.
For any other questions or concerns, please call 866.326.9227.